Monday, November 4, 2013

Getting Back on Track

Getting Back on Track

By Janis Roszler, RD, CDE, LD/N

“I cannot control how I am perceived; I can only control how I am presented.”

This quote is completely true. You can control what you do and say, but you have no control over how others will respond. This piece of wisdom did not come from an ancient text—it came from a TV show. Life Stylist, Jared Weiss, taught this mantra a while back to a less-than-confident young woman on an older Bravo television program, Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style. I wish I had heard it sooner, because I definitely could have used this phrase a few weeks ago.

About a month ago, I decided to play catch-up with my health. I’m usually good about making routine medical appointments, but every so often, I miss an expert or two. So, to get back on track, I decided to catch up—I got my teeth cleaned, had my eyes examined, stopped in at the dermatologist, and made a few additional appointments.

When I walked into one of the doctor’s office, the receptionist’s reaction threw me off balance. As I signed in, she glanced up over her reading glasses, and mumbled, “Janis Roszler? Wow, you really haven’t been here in a long time! I think your file is in storage.”

I nervously apologized and said that I was trying my best to stay current. What was her response?
“Really? Well, I never miss any of MY appointments or tests! I believe in preventative care!”

My blood began to boil and I fought the urge to run out of the building. I could hear my heart race and my voice scream inside my head, “Well excuuuuse me, Lady. I write health articles and books for a living. I believe in preventative care, too!”

If you have neglected your health, you can take charge of your life and truly change your future. But I must warn you: You may not get the support that you expect to receive. Your spouse may put you down. Your parents may remind you of how you have failed in the past. And yes, a rude receptionist may criticize you.

Don’t let these comments stop you from doing what you know is necessary and right for you.

Here are a few things to keep in mind as you take that first step on the road to better health:
1.  Put yourself first. This may sound selfish, but you can’t help anyone else if you are not well.
2. Be an example to your family. If you want your children to care for their health, you must show them that it is a priority in your life.
3. Ignore people who don’t support you. Their comments can’t stop you from becoming and staying healthy and strong.
4. Be your own cheerleader. You can do it!
5. Be who you deserve to be. Present yourself as you wish to be seen, and don’t worry about what people think about you.

If you need to, repeat this mantra...
“I cannot control how I am perceived; I can only control how I am presented.”



No comments:

Post a Comment